What is PHP?
PHP stand for Hypertext Preprocessor . It is a open source, general-purpose, server side scripting language that is most suited for web development and can be easily embedded into HTML.Â PHPÂ is developed by Rasmus Lerdorf in the year 1994.
- PHP files have extension ".php"
- It is an interpreted language.
- It is a server side scripting language so the PHP code are executed on the server..
- PHP is best suited for web development ,It is faster than other scripting language e.g. asp and jsp.
Features of php:-
Due to the following features PHP is too popular in web development-
- Open Source
- Case Sensitive
- Platform Independent
- Error Reporting
- Loosely Typed Language
- Real-Time Access Monitoring
What can PHP do?
PHP is server-side scripting language, so you can do anything that any other CGI program can do, such as collect form data, generate dynamic web page content, or send and receive cookies. But PHP can do much more in web development.
There following are the main areas where PHP scripts can be used-
- Server-side scripting: It is main area of PHP ,it is too popular server side scripting language almost cover 70% market of web development. You need three things to run php program: -
- The PHP parser.
- A Web Server.
- A Web Browser
- Command line scripting: You can run PHP script without any server or web browser. You only need the PHP parser to run the script. This type of usage is best suited for scripts regularly executed using cron (on *nix or Linux) or Task Scheduler (on Windows). PHP command line scripting can also be used for simple text processing tasks.
- Writing desktop applications. PHP is not the best suited language to develop a desktop application with a graphical user interface, but if you know PHP very well, and would like to use some advanced PHP features in your client-side applications you can write such programs for desktop applications with the help of PHP-GTK.
- PHP almost support all major operating systems, such as Linux, many Unix variants (including HP-UX, Solaris and OpenBSD), Microsoft Windows, macOS, RISC OS, and probably others. PHP also support all most all the web servers .
- PHP also support for other services using protocols such as LDAP, IMAP, SNMP, NNTP, POP3, HTTP, COM (on Windows) and many others. You can also open network sockets connection and interact using any other protocol. PHP has support for the WDDX(Web Distributed Data eXchange) complex data exchange between virtually all Web programming languages.
- PHP support most of the databases it is the strongest and most significant features of PHP.